Collaboration is more than a technical architecture, solution, or product. It is the experience that integrates people, processes and technology. Finding ways to improve the connections between researcher, learners, and the information they need to share is critical in improving research and education. It follows some of the goals of collaboration technologies:
- Help people share as naturally as possible;
- Empower people to work their way; where, when and how they want and without any limitations;
- Engage people by providing the best collaboration tools to connect with peers and other organizations;
- Help people innovate to develop ideas and solve problems and issues;
- People do not want to have to think about how to do something rather what they would like to do.
Maeen network offers an excellent infrastructure making it a high quality collaboration environment that will be easily accessible to research and learners. Videoconference and IP telephony services are some of the most demanding services on research networks.
Maeen network will facilitate videoconferencing and IPT between members and minimize the operation overhead that is required to setup a videoconferencing and voice channels between members.
In addition, Maeen will be integrated with eduCONF service. This service is provided by GÉANT2 and helping to provide the tools for an effective videoconference infrastructure, including tools for locating, validating and certifying rooms, managing and monitoring a videoconferencing network. EduCONF will provide easy collaboration between Maeen and GÉANT2 members.
Videoconferencing is a cost effective method of facilitating live, interactive communication across different geographical locations. Videoconferencing can be used for a variety of purposes including, but are not be limited to:
- Meetings with colleagues working away;
- Project collaboration between people at multiple sites;
- Participate in presentations from different geographical locations;
- Collaboration with different research groups;
- Can give access to locations, which may not normally be possible (due to health and safety, security or audience size limitations).
An effective Videoconferencing can save time, money and improve teamwork. The benefits of videoconference services include, but are not be limited to the following:
- Saving travel costs for academic institutions.
- Increasing knowledge-sharing by allowing more frequent meetings.
- Empowering scientific areas such as telemedicine.
- Improving cultural work and research by sharing events and developments.
- Increasing the efficiency of management teams and teleworking.
IP telephony (Internet Protocol telephony) is a general term for the technologies that use the Internet Protocol's packet-switched connections to exchange voice, fax and other forms of information that have traditionally been carried over the dedicated circuit-switched connections of the public switched telephone network (PSTN). The advantages of IP Telephony, in comparison with legacy phone systems, are fully evident.
IP telephony helps cut down the monthly bills for telecom services, increase the efficiency of communication systems and add numerous innovative convergence features.